Ellen Page Talks THE EAST, INCEPTION, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, Twitter, FAMILY GUY, and Much More
Opening this weekend, in limited release, is director/co-writer Zal Batmanglij’s (Sound of My Voice) eco-terrorist thriller The East. Brit Marling co-wrote the script with Batmanglij and stars as an undercover operative for an elite private intelligence firm who infiltrates a domestic terrorist organization in order to protect her corporate clientele. Once she starts living as part of the anarchist collective, though, she finds that her loyalties aren’t as solid as she believed them to be and becomes conflicted when she starts falling for the charismatic leader (Alexander Skarsgard). The impressive ensemble cast also includes Ellen Page, Patricia Clarkson, and Julia Ormond, and you can click here to watch the trailer and here is Matt’s review.
Last week I landed an extended video interview with Ellen Page. She talked about wanting to work with Marling and Batmanglij, the parallels of the film to real world issues, whether or not the script changed during production, the process of shooting the film in only four weeks, premiering at Sundance, and much more. In addition, Page talked about the popularity of Inception and if she’s still asked about it, does she censor herself on Twitter, X-Men: Days of Future Past and having Bryan Singer tweet out a picture of her on set, upcoming projects like Freeheld and the video game Beyond: Two Souls, doing a voice on Family Guy, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
Ellen Page Time Index:
- 0:20 – Talks about people asking her about Christopher Nolan’s Inception.
- 1:10 – Comments on the popularity of Inception with broad appeal to many types of audience members and her experience working with Nolan.
- 2:35 – Talks about being a fan of Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, plus her reaction to reading the script for The East.
- 4:45 – Comments on the parallels of the film to real world issues, addressing the “1%.”
- 5:50 – Talks about changes the occurred from the first time she read the script through to the final cut.
- 6:50 – Comments on her experience at Sundance and the film’s premiere.
- 8:00 – Talks about the process of shooting the film in only about four weeks.
- 9:25 – Comments on whether or not she’s talked to James Gunn about Guardians of the Galaxy.
- 10:10 – On Twitter, she talks about whether or not she censors herself before submitting.
- 11:30 – Talks about X-Men: Days of Future Past and having Bryan Singer Tweet out a picture of her on set.
- 13:00 – Comments on filming in 3D for the first time.
- 13:45 – Talks about finding out that the new film would combine the old and new casts of the X-Men films.
- 14:15 – Comments on her lack of familiarity with the X-Men comics and her reaction to being offered a chance to reprise the role of Kitty Pryde.
- 15:05 – Talks about her upcoming projects, including Freeheld and the video game Beyond: Two Souls.
- 16:05 – Comments on her voice role for Family Guy.