David Alan Grier and S. Epatha Merkerson Talk PEEPLES, Playing Against Type, IN LIVING COLOR, and More
The Tyler Perry name-brand provokes an impulsive knee jerk response. Either you’re on the bandwagon or you’re vehemently against. This Friday’s Peeples presents quite the conundrum for the Perry-less faction of viewers. While the film sports Perry’s name on the one sheet, the man didn’t direct the film instead serving as producer. The credit here belongs to Tina Gordon Chism, the writer behind the much-better-than they-ought to-be Drumline and ATL. Peeples – her first stab as writer/director – is no exception to this norm. I’ll admit a certain amount of trepidation before the lights dimmed; but within the first reel, I was quickly won over by the film’s quick and gentle wit.
Much of the film’s merit can be laid onto its game cast – in particular David Alan Grier (In Living Color)and S. Epatha Merkerson (Law & Order) as the patri/matri-arch to potential son-in-law Craig Robinson. In the following interview with the duo, Merkerson and Grier talk acting opposite film-legends Melvin Van Peebles and Diahann Carroll and reveal the art in using comedy to deal with serious subject matters. In addition Grier discussed the planned reboot of the classic sketch-comedy In Living Color and why ultimately it failed. For the full interview, hit the jump.
By Tommy Cook
Related Posts via Categories
- Karl Urban Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, Reprising His Role, Working on the Practical Sets, IMAX 3D, Plus DREDD and ALMOST HUMAN
- Producers Deborah Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Charles Roven Talk Retelling the Origin Story, Choosing the Villain, and More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL
- Groovy New Set Photos from 1970s Setting of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Peter Dinklage
- Neal Edelstein Talks HAUNTING MELISSA, How the App Works, Merging Cinema with New Tech, Creating a New Platform for Horror, and More
- Chris O’Dowd & Aziz Ansari Talk EPIC, Improvising, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, Ansari’s Scripts, ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT and Michele Bachmann
- James Badge Dale Talks IRON MAN 3, His Audition Process, the Character’s Physicality, WORLD WAR Z, THE LONE RANGER, and More
- Tyler Posey Talks Surprising Storylines, New Love Interests, Getting Instant Feedback on Social Media, and More on the Set of TEEN WOLF Season 3
- Director Todd Phillips Talks THE HANGOVER PART III, the Evolution of the Series, Deleted Scenes, and More; Reveals Plans for Ultimate HANGOVER Box Set
- Katie Aselton and Lake Bell Talk BLACK ROCK, the Challenging Shoot, and Bell Directing Her First Feature IN A WORLD…
- Ray Stevenson Talks Season 7 of DEXTER, How He Got Involved, Playing the Villain, Working on a Secretive Show, Plus THOR: THE DARK WORLD & DIVERGENT