Chris Wedge Talks EPIC, FERNGULLY Comparison, Picking His Voice Cast, New Blue Sky Logo, Possibility of More ICE AGE
FernGully 2.0? Perhaps a little, but director Chris Wedge’s Epic is really much more than that. After kicking off the Ice Age franchise, directing the 2005 release, Robots, and voicing Ice Age’s Scrat in between, Wedge moved on to Epic, a film inspired by William Joyce and his book The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs. Epic features the voice of Amanda Seyfried as Mary Katherine, a human non-believer who shrinks down to the forest floor and is shocked to find herself face-to-face with a brigade of Leaf Men soldiers, a snail, a slug, and more creatures that should be a fraction of her size.
During my interview with Wedge, we discussed the FernGully association, how to decide between giving a character a noticeably famous voice or a famous yet less obvious one, and how an animated character may come to look like his or her real life counterpart. We also touched on Wedge’s hopes to direct again and the possible continuation of the Ice Age franchise. Hit the jump to watch the interview.
- Epic vs. FernGully
- What if Epic was made at Pixar?
- Choosing identifiable vs. unrecognizable voices for the cast.
- When to match the look of the character to the person voicing them.
- What’s next – hopes to direct again and possibly more Ice Age.
By Perri Nemiroff
Related Posts via Categories
- Karl Urban Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, Reprising His Role, Working on the Practical Sets, IMAX 3D, Plus DREDD and ALMOST HUMAN
- Producers Deborah Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Charles Roven Talk Retelling the Origin Story, Choosing the Villain, and More on the Set of MAN OF STEEL
- Groovy New Set Photos from 1970s Setting of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Peter Dinklage
- Neal Edelstein Talks HAUNTING MELISSA, How the App Works, Merging Cinema with New Tech, Creating a New Platform for Horror, and More
- Chris O’Dowd & Aziz Ansari Talk EPIC, Improvising, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, Ansari’s Scripts, ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT and Michele Bachmann
- James Badge Dale Talks IRON MAN 3, His Audition Process, the Character’s Physicality, WORLD WAR Z, THE LONE RANGER, and More
- Tyler Posey Talks Surprising Storylines, New Love Interests, Getting Instant Feedback on Social Media, and More on the Set of TEEN WOLF Season 3
- Director Todd Phillips Talks THE HANGOVER PART III, the Evolution of the Series, Deleted Scenes, and More; Reveals Plans for Ultimate HANGOVER Box Set
- Katie Aselton and Lake Bell Talk BLACK ROCK, the Challenging Shoot, and Bell Directing Her First Feature IN A WORLD…
- Ray Stevenson Talks Season 7 of DEXTER, How He Got Involved, Playing the Villain, Working on a Secretive Show, Plus THOR: THE DARK WORLD & DIVERGENT