Brit Marling Talks THE EAST, How She’s Matured as a Filmmaker, Mike Cahill’s I ORIGINS, THE KEEPING ROOM, POSTHUMOUS, and THE GREEN BLADE RISES
Opening this weekend, in limited release, is director/co-writer Zal Batmanglij’s (Sound of My Voice) eco-terrorist thriller The East. Brit Marling co-wrote the script with Batmanglij and stars as an undercover operative for an elite private intelligence firm who infiltrates a domestic terrorist organization in order to protect her corporate clientele. Once she starts living as part of the anarchist collective, though, she finds that her loyalties aren’t as solid as she believed them to be and becomes conflicted when she starts falling for the charismatic leader (Alexander Skarsgard). The impressive ensemble cast also includes Ellen Page, Patricia Clarkson, and Julia Ormond, and you can click here to watch the trailer and here is Matt’s review.
Last week I landed an extended video interview with Marling. She talked about the sources of inspiration for the film, the compressed schedule, the amount of changes that occurred from the inception of the idea to the final cut of the film, deleted scenes, what she’s learned about Hollywood and how she’s matured as a filmmaker since Sound of My Voice, and more. In addition, she talked about some of her upcoming projects like writer-director Mike Cahill’s I Origins, The Green Blade Rises, Posthumous, and The Keeping Room. Hit the jump to watch.
Brit Marling Time Index:
- 0:30 – Talks about her response to the reaction of audience members to early screenings.
- 2:15 – Comments on the sources of inspiration for the film, such as All the President’s Men.
- 3:05 – Talks about the amount of changes that occurred from the inception of the idea to the final cut of the film.
- 4:20 – Comments on the number of takes during the shoot relative to the compressed schedule.
- 5:30 – Talks about deleted scenes from the final cut which may make the Blu-ray/DVD extras.
- 6:30 – Comments on her involvement across all aspects of the film.
- 8:15 – Reveals what she’s learned about Hollywood and how she’s matured as a filmmaker since Sound of My Voice.
- 9:50 – Talks about I Origins and working with writer-director Mike Cahill.
- 11:00 – Comments on how long it will be before we see a trailer for the film.
- 11:20 – Talks about The Green Blade Rises and Posthumous.
- 12:30 – Reveals her upcoming projects, such as The Keeping Room.